Monday 14 April 2014

Top 10 of The Month

In my previous post I mentioned that I will be posting monthly playlists. I thought it would be a good start and a way of me introducing my music taste to those of you that read this. Since we're only halfway through April I thought I'd share with you what I've been listening to over the past few months.

1. The Courteeners- Are You In Love With A Notion?



Anyone that knows me, knows I'm in love with The Courteeners. The Manchester band totally have my heart. Are You In Love With A Notion is a single taken from their 2013 album Anna. They opened with this song at Castlefield Bowl 5th July last summer, the night was insane with Miles Kane and The Strypes as support. Remembering it gives me goosebumps. I've seen them four times now and every time is literally amazing, Liam Fray is the man.

2. Tribes- Corner Of An English Field

Sadly Tribes split in November, I was and still am proper gutted. I saw them when they supported The Kooks in 2011 at Manchester academy and again last July at T in the park. Corner of an English field is taken from their 2012 album Baby, great album. Although they got some pretty bad reviews for their most recent album Wish To Scream, with NME giving them 4/10. I personally really liked it, and let's be honest what are the chances of NME liking you if you aren't Arctic Monkeys..?

3. The Smiths- That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore

'And you should know, times tide will smother you' such a good lyric. The Smiths.. All time favourite band. That joke isn't funny anymore is from the album Meat is Murder. I listened to this album a lot last month, on a fair few occasions I'd miss uni and just lie in bed with the smiths on repeat.

4. Temples- Shelter Song

Only recently started listening to Temples after a friend recommended them to me. They have quite a psychedelic sound, which is not my usual cup of tea but hey I actually really like them. Shelter Song is taken from the album Sun Structures.

5. The Stone Roses- She Bangs The Drums

She Bangs The Drums taken from the self titled album The Stone Roses. Can you see a theme occurring? Ha. Yes I do like a fair few Manchester bands, including The Stone Roses but how can you not? Yet another band that almost always manages to raise the hairs on my arms. I tend to love the arrogant lead singer stereotype of Ian Brown, Liam Gallagher, Morrissey... Can't help myself.

6. Bipolar Sunshine- Drowning Butterflies 

Yet another band I've only recently started listening to. A lot of my friends had recommended them, you know when you say 'I'll listen to them later ....' and you never do? Well I finally did, took me a few months... I like them, especially this song but I'm hoping their other stuff will grow on me.

7. Arctic Monkeys- One For The Road

It was inevitable that I would mention Arctic Monkeys. One For The Road is taken from their 2013 album AM. I've managed to see them three times. In 2011 around when Suck It And See was released and twice last October. They are at the top of my list when it comes to performing live, they really are good. Although fame seems to have gone to Alex Turners' head. Unfortunately.

8. Daughter- Get Lucky (Cover)



I am in love with this cover, Daughter are amazing. If You Leave is their 2013 album, they have such bitter-sweet lyrics, some so relatable. Saw them last summer, awesome.

9. Frank Turner- Plain Sailing Weather

Frank Turner is just awesome right? Plain Sailing Weather is taken from the album Recovery which is basically a break up album. Still quality though. I remember seeing Bastille at T in the park and waiting two hours after them to be at the barrier for Frank, and as expected he was great despise being off my face. He also won celebrity master mind... intelligent, fit and plays guitar..?

10.Young Kato- Ignite 

Okay so final song. A few people have said how much Young Kato sound like Bastille... Maybe so, but live they're so different. I've seen them twice, at The Ruby Lounge and Band on The Wall in Manchester, two very small venues and they were crazy good. They appeared in series 4 of Made in Chelsea, which increased their popularity. The front man Tommy has some weirdly good dance moves, quite like those of Ed Macfarlane (you can imagine, right?)

That's me, please feel free to comment below sharing your thoughts on this post or any band recommendations you have. Not quite got the hang of this blogging thing so bare with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment